May 24 - Psalms 27-30

After reading these four psalms today, I believe the Lord is speaking to me about fear. What role does the fear of man or the fear of circumstances play in my life? David clearly says that I should not have fear, since the Lord is my light and my salvation. He is the strength of my life. Why should I be afraid? In the New Testament I read that "perfect love casts out fear" and "God has not given a spirit of fear." The only conclusion I can reach is that when I fear God and walk with Him, my life should not be hindered by fear of anything else. I do want that to be true of my life. What about you?

There are several insights given in these psalms as to how to live without fear, too. Psalm 27:14 tells us to wait on the Lord, and He shall strengthen your heart. This kind of waiting is expecting God to work, because we know Him and trust Him to do the right thing. Psalm 29:1-2 tells us to live a life of praise and worship toward God. We must give Him the credit or the glory for all that is done. This constantly reminds us of His power and the fact that we must depend on Him, not ourselves.

Even in these psalms that say we should not live in fear, there is the acknowledgment that we will have hard times. However, the psalmist is very clear that "weeping may endure for a night, but joy comes in the morning." Again, he tells us that "You have turned for me my mourning into dancing." We will have hard times, but God is able to give His children strength and peace as we trust Him. That is the only way to live with no fear.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 31-33.

Popular Posts