Sincere, Sacrificial Intercession

Moses sincerely offered to be punished in the place of his people who had sinned against God by making and worshiping the golden calf while he and Joshua were on the mountain with God.(Exodus 32:32,33) This selfless prayer showed the heart of Moses to be the heart of God, full of love and the willingness to give himself for those he loved. It would do us all good to notice the depth of his sincerity, so that we would intercede for those we love in a similar way.

I believe God sees our hearts when we pray, more than He hears the words we say. If our hearts do not match our words, God is not moved. God is looking for sincere faith and desire for His will to be done. However, God does not answer our prayers just because we are sincere and we pray with His heart. We do not sway God to do the wrong thing. That is why God told Moses that each person would be punished for his or her sin. Moses could not be punished in the place of another person. Only God can do that. Jesus did that for us on the Cross. That is why I say that Moses showed the very heart of God in his prayer. He was willing to do what only God could do.

I hope that my prayers are that sincere and sacrificial, as I pray for those around me to come to forgiveness. I know God will touch their hearts and draw them, when I pray like that. However, it is still up to them to repent and to trust Christ. I can't pray someone into heaven, and I can't die for them. I can pray and tell them the truth. That is what Moses did, and that is what we do today.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 33-36.

Popular Posts