Saving Impressions

My friend and fellow pastor, Steve Murrell, gave me a book by Charles Finney, the great evangelist, several weeks ago. The title is "Power From On High." I picked it up on Friday morning and read several chapters. The subject touched my heart, and it caused me to yearn for the power from on high Jesus promised to send His disciples after His resurrection and Ascension.

Finney gave some personal examples of what happened when he received this power. One chapter is entitled "Saving Impressions." The testimony of Charles Finney was that God gave him words to say to other people that caused them to have thoughts about their personal salvation and led them to see their need to trust Christ. How I have longed for that ability in my life. So often, I speak to someone, and then, after we are apart, I think of just the thing I should have said. It hurts my heart when that happens, because I know I missed an opportunity to make a saving impression on them.

I hope to finish this little book soon, but I have already begun praying earnestly for the power from on high. I am going to continue in prayer as the disciples did, until I receive that power. I pray when I receive it, I will have that same ability Finney had to make saving impressions on people who need Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicles 6-8.

Popular Posts