Plowing, Sowing, and Harvesting

I have begun reading through Job for my reading through the Bible in a year. It is always a great book to read to get insights into life, and I usually find something new each time I go through it. This morning was no different.

Job's friend, Eliphaz, responds to Job's lament in chapter 4. Job's friends assume that Job's problems were brought on by his sin, as is often the case, but they were wrong. That is why they were hard on Job at times, and it is why God was hard on them. We should never assume that we know why something bad happens to another person. Only God knows the whole situation.

However, Job 4:8 is very true, "According to what I have seen those who plow iniquity and those who sow trouble harvest it." Eliphaz is right at this point. God makes sure that those who decide to sin reap the consequences. This is especially true if it is premeditated sin. When people plow iniquity, they are intending to do wrong. When they sow trouble, they know exactly what they are doing. Therefore, they harvest what they have planted. God is always just.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 5-7 and Acts 8:1-25.

Popular Posts