Help for the Despairing Person

One of the things I try to do is to encourage people who are having a difficult time in life. It is a great challenge. I don't know if I am able to do it very well or not. However, I make every effort to say the right thing and to show the love of Christ to them.

Often, I wonder how direct I should be when talking to a person who is in despair. Sometimes, I feel like telling them to be tough and realize that we all have trouble. They are not the only ones experiencing trials. Most of the time I don't do that, though.

This morning I read Job 6:14, and it gave me some help in this area. Job knew despair more than any other human, and he was a righteous man. Therefore, his advice here is good, when he said, "For the despairing man there should be kindness from his friend, so that he does not forsake the fear of the Almighty." I think I get the message. When a person is in despair and losing hope, there is no need to pile on more stress or pressure. The ingredient that is needed is kindness. If the person is pushed too far, they might forsake the fear of the Lord. They might feel it is not worth following Him. However, with a little kindness, I can show them that God is faithful, and they can trust Him all the way. I am so glad that Job gave us that bit of wisdom.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 8-10 and Acts 8:26-40.

Popular Posts