Remaining Joy-Full

The men were in rare form this morning. We had 17 in attendance at 5 AM with one man coming for the very first time. What a joy to study God's Word with these men who are eager to know Him and to be real disciples!

This morning we advanced to verse 11 after discussing how the Father loved the Son, which is very thought provoking, and we ended up with joy. Jesus told His disciples the reason He was sharing these truths with them. It was so that His joy would remain in them. That is the same root word as abide. Also, it was so that their joy would be full. Therefore, Jesus' desire was for them to remain joy-full.

This will result when we are clean from our sin, pruned from unnecessary activities that take away from bearing fruit, and as we continue to abide in Him as well. He makes all of that clear in the beginning verses. However, my question to the men and to you is this, "What is joy?" How do you define joy? Think about it. Study on it and let me know what you came up with. It is difficult for me to put joy into words that convey the uniqueness of joy. I tend to use the word peace, but that is not good. What I want to be able to do is to express the meaning of joy in a way that reveals its substance, not just its characteristics. I hope that makes sense, and I hope it helps you understand what Jesus wants for all of us as believers.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Kings 21-22 and Luke 23:26-56.

Popular Posts