What should I do for you before I am taken?

 I have written about this verse before. It is a great verse. However, I have always looked at it from the angle of Elisha's response. Today, the Lord showed me that I need to think about it from the perspective of Elijah's question. When we do that, it brings a whole new element to the meaning.

Elijah was concerned about Elisha because the Lord had shown him that he would be taken up to heaven soon and Elisha would be left behind to minister by himself. (II Kings 2:9) When they had crossed over the Jordan river, Elijah said to Elisha, "Ask me what I should do for you before I am taken from you." And Elisha said, "Please, let a double portion of your spirit be upon me." See what I mean.

None of us know when we will be taken out of this world by sickness or by accident. Sometimes, we may have an idea that our time is limited, but whatever our situation in life, we should be concerned for our loved ones and friends. I believe it would be fitting for us to ask the ones we love this same question, "What should I do for you before I am taken?" 

Then, we will have a good opportunity to show them our love and to meet their needs in a timely way. We won't have to do it when we have a crisis with our health or another serious problem to complicate things. Once we comply with their request, we will have peace of mind, and they will have something that will help them. That was a very loving thing that Elijah did, and we should do the same.

#NHBaptistdotorg

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 3-6.

Popular Posts