Career Day

For the past few years the counselor at our local elementary school has been asking me to take part in Career Day for the third through fifth grade students. This morning it was my privilege to go to six classes and talk about my career as a pastor. It is always my prayer that I can say something that will spark an interest in the children for church and knowing the Lord.

Today, I asked them several questions to see how much they knew about church and pastors. My first question was, "What is a church?" It was not a trick question, but I knew they would have a hard time with it. Most of the time the first answer was that church is a place to go and worship and learn about God. I told them that they were correct, but that was not the real answer. I told them that the church is people. Even most adults don't think about that. Then, I asked them what "pastor" means. I did not expect them to know, but I wanted them to think. Then, I told them that pastor means "shepherd." We spoke about what a shepherd does to take care of sheep, and I told them how a pastor helps take care of people and helps to lead the church. Then, we talked about learning the Bible and how I help people with all of their problems. We had a great time.

In each class it was great to hear the children speak about believing in Jesus. I did not have to do it, because they did it for me. Then, we talked about what it means to be baptized, too. I ended by inviting them to join us for the Good News Club after school on Thursdays in Mrs. Smith's room near the Media Center. I pray that some of them will come and hear the gospel. I pray that they will listen for God to speak to their tender hearts, so they can respond to Him and know Jesus.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Judges 1-4.

Popular Posts