Meditating on Scripture

This morning I shared with the North Henry Academy students in chapel as I usually do on Thursdays. I started by showing them how God had laid it on my heart to write a different memory verse on a card every day and carry it in my pocket, so I could review it all day long. Then, even if I did not totally memorize it, I became familiar with the reference, and I got to meditate on it. I hope that will stick with them, and they will adopt that discipline one day.

Then, I explained the meaning of meditating as it pertains to Scripture. It means to go over and over it, so it can be fully digested. I gave them the illustration of a cow chewing the cud until the grass was fully digested. That is what we need to do with God's Word. That is what Psalms 1 commends. In fact, this psalm tells us that those who meditate on the Scripture will be fruitful and blessed by God. Why would we not try to do something that has such a promise associated with it?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Exodus 39-40 and Matthew 23:23-39.

Popular Posts