Long Time Friends

I had a very special blessing in the past two weeks. I have had two long time friends contact me. Both of them mean so much to me. They are both great encouragers to me like Barnabas in the New Testament. We all need friends like these men, and to have them in my life for over 25 years has been wonderful. I pray that we will be able to have many more memories together.

David Snipes called me on the morning of my birthday as he was on the way to a meeting. It was great just to hear his voice. He did not have a lot of time to talk then, so he called back last Sunday afternoon. We caught up on family and friends for a while. We spoke of some funny memories. We have known each other for at least 30 years. He came to Smith Bend Baptist Church, and he and his wife, Cheryl, became our close friends. More than that, David, is a faithful disciple of Jesus, who was always quick to do the right thing at the right time. God could not have sent a better friend for me than David. I thank God for Him. He always lifts me up.

Today, my friend, Wayne Bryant, was in Atlanta for a small group conference, so we had lunch together. I believe I met Wayne in 1981 when I was a pastor and a part-time Director of Missions in Texas. We hit it off immediately, and we have been friends for all of these years. He has preached in all of my churches. His spirit just encourages my heart. He has such a passion for life. He doesn't do anything half way. He and his wife, Susan, are some of God's choice servants. Wayne has been a pastor for 30 years. As we were parting this afternoon, he made the observation that we have lived our lives together over all of these years. That touched my heart. It has been my privilege to be his friend and encourager.

I hope I have been half as good a friend to these men as they have been to me. That is part of being a Christian. We are brothers in Christ, which is closer than family in some ways. We are joined at the heart. It is my prayer that I can connect with the men of North Henry like I have with my long time friends, and one day I can write about knowing them for over 25 years and serving the Lord together all those years.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Kings 14-15 and Luke 22:21-46.

Popular Posts