Absolute Truths for Everyday Living

Back on March 30 I wrote about authority, which akin to what I am thinking about this evening. Does God give us a huge amount of latitude in living the Christian life, or are there absolute truths found in God's Word for daily living? I ask that question, because it seems that some Christians would admit to absolute truth when it comes to the Person of God, salvation, and other doctrinal positions, but they do not want to accept absolute truths for their lives every day. This appears to me to be a serious problem. If we are able to take or leave the commands of Scripture that relate to living each day, why did God make those commands? What good is most of the New Testament if it is just a collection of teachings or suggestions?

It seems to me that this question goes to the heart of the Lordship of Christ. Does He expect us to follow His commands and teachings? If they cramp our lifestyle, can we ignore them and Jesus still be Lord of our lives? It seems very contradictory to me. I come at it all from the other angle. Jesus did not give me His Word and the commands that relate to everyday life to bother me but to bless me. If they are a bother something is wrong with how I relate to Christ. He told me those things to cause me joy and fulfillment. To ignore them is to bring ruin on my life. Look at I John 5:3. The Word says that "His commands are not burdensome." It does not say that if a command is burdensome to me, I can skip over it and forget it. In fact, I have come to where I love His commands. Maybe, I am just weird, but I believe that His absolute truths for daily living are there to bring me and all of us as believers real life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 7-9 and Luke 9:18-36.

Popular Posts