July 16 - Song of Solomon 1-4

I believe that Song of Solomon is just that a love song between Solomon and his wife. I do not believe that it is symbolic of other things, so I don't look for other things in it. I enjoy it, and I learn from it as a love song or a love poem.

That makes this book either a joyful book or a depressing book, depending on the reader's relationship with his or her spouse. If you have an exciting, love relationship with your spouse, this book will remind you of the intimate love you share with your spouse. If you do not have a spouse or if you do not have a good relationship with your spouse, it could seem far fetched or it could be depressing to you. I pray that it will give everyone a glimpse into the type of intimacy God desires for a husband and wife. Next to your relationship with Christ, your marriage relationship should be far and away your closest and most satisfying relationship on earth.

Did you notice the compliments exchanged by Solomon and his wife? Many of them are in cultural terms we would not use, but I think we all get the point. They are enamored with one another emotionally and physically. They want to be with each other, and they miss each other when they are apart. They respect each other. Solomon and his wife enjoy sexual love as an outgrowth of their intimate love for each other. It is a beautiful story that illustrates how God designed for a man and a woman to form a one flesh relationship.

I thank God for my wife, Chris. She is the love of my life. Our relationship is such that I can understand the Song of Solomon as being a truthful, real statement of love between a husband and a wife. I want to compliment her and respect her so much that our relationship will continue to grow all of the days of our time on this earth. I believe that is God's will, too. Is that what you want for your marriage? If it is, read this book closely and practice what you see each day.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Song of Solomon 5-8.

Popular Posts