The God of Bethel

Jacob's life was filled with turmoil, but God blessed him and saw him through all of it. After he had stolen the blessing from his brother, Esau, he left Canaan in fear for his life. He went back to his mother's family to take a wife. On the way God gave him a dream of a ladder reaching to heaven with angels ascending and descending on this ladder. God told him that he would be with him and bring him home safely. Then, Jacob named the place Bethel, which means "house of God." He vowed that God would be his God and he would give God a tithe of all, if He would fulfill His promise to be with Him. God fulfilled His promise, and Jacob returned home after 20 years. He was a wealthy man with 12 sons. God appeared to him again before they left to go back to Canaan. God reminded him of Bethel, the pillar he anointed and the vow he made. (Genesis 31:13) I am sure Jacob was overwhelmed by God faithfulness, and we should be, too.

Whenever God communicates a promise to us directly or through His Word, the Bible, we can count on Him fulfilling that promise. I know that I can remember my "Bethel" experiences with God, when He directed me in His will and promised to be with me. What a joy it is to look back and see the faithfulness of God over all of these years. God has dealt graciously with me, as He did with Jacob. He has stood against those who would harm me and my family. He has blessed us to have plenty of all that we need. He has even brought me back home to my family after 20 years away. I can relate to Jacob, and I hope you can, too. We all need to trust the promises and direction of God, so that we can live in the center of His will and His blessings.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Genesis 32-34.

Popular Posts