My Help Comes from the Lord

Several of the psalms in this section are psalms or songs of ascents. That means they were sung by the people as they ascended the hills to get to the Temple in Jerusalem where they were going to worship the Lord. That is why Psalm 121 speaks of lifting up my eyes to the hills. This was in anticipation of being in the presence of God in worship once they got to the top. As they sang together, they would ask, "From whence comes my help,?" and answer their own question by singing, "My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth."(Psalm 121:1,2) What a glorious way to go to worship and to prepare our hearts to receive the help of the Lord!

I have been running now for several years. It is a blessing for me. I had to stop for a while 10 years ago to have my prostate gland removed because they found cancer. As I recovered from the surgery, I began to run again. My habit then, was to listen to the Brooklyn Tabernacle Choir as I ran. One of their great songs is from Psalm 121, and God would work it out, so that I was singing it with them as I ran up a very high hill that is on my route. I would look up the hill and thank God for health and the strength to run up that hill cancer free and healthy. Now, I still do the same thing each time I run up that hill, even if I am not listening to that song, because I never want to forget that my help comes from the Lord and Him alone.

The same is true for our country on this Fourth of July. Our Founders had faith in the Lord. They knew that our country would not survive as a free country without His blessings. It is still true today. We face numerous challenges, and the only solution is the Lord. On this day that we celebrate our independence from England, let us confess our dependence on the Lord for His help. Let us cry out to Him and return to His ways. He is our only hope.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 125-129.  

Popular Posts