Serving Others vs. Being Served

I believe Jesus gave us a clear way to see if His character is being formed in us.(Mark 10:45) If His character is not being formed in us, we are not a believer. God made it very clear that all who come to Christ will be conformed to His image, as we live and grow in Him.(Romans 8:29) Therefore, it is very important for all of us access our lives and look for this character quality.

The desire to serve others is present in all believers. In fact, it will be the purpose of their lives, just like it was the purpose of Jesus coming to the earth. If we live to serve others, we see the Holy Spirit forming Christ in us. If we live to be served by others, we are not seeing the supernatural work of the Lord in our lives.

The flesh is always selfish and wants to be served. The works of the flesh have everything to do with being self-centered.(Galatians 5:19-21) The fruit of the Spirit is all about being focused on the Lord so that our lives can be a blessing to others.(Galatians 5:22-23) If we are still in the flesh, we are not a believer.(Romans 8:1-11)

Believe me, I know that none of us are perfect. We have to grow in our service of others. I fail often to do just what the Lord wants me to do. However, I know the desires of my heart, and I know that Christ has planted deep within me the desire to be like Him and live like Him in this area of service. It is not just me. It is the Spirit working in me, and it shows that He is forming Christ's character in me. I pray that we all will stop to consider this in our own lives, and if we do not see it, ask God why and what we need to do.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Mark 11-13.  

Popular Posts