Loving Jesus

I was glad to be able to speak to a pastor friend of mine today. We don't get to see each other very often now, but we have known each other for 30 years. He is a great guy and a passionate preacher of God's Word.

I had called him to ask a question, but in the process of talking we asked about our families and our churches. It was great to hear that his family was doing well. However, what he said about his church was sobering. He is pastor of a great church that has reached a lot of people for the Lord. They have had 3 morning services to accommodate the folks who were coming. He told me that some people had left, and there were about 300 attending services now. He had spoken to another friend who had told him that a church changes folks every five years. People come and people go, so there is little stability in most churches. That is troubling to me, and I hope it is to all of us.

My friend told me that he tells his folks that they need to love Jesus with all of their hearts. It is not about the preacher; it is about Jesus. No church is perfect and for sure, no preacher is perfect. We need to set our hearts to love Jesus. That is where our stability will come from. Then, we will be able to stand the test of time, and not be one of those who comes and goes.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Romans 6-8.

Popular Posts