Is Life Too Short?

Sometimes I hear people say that life is too short. There are even catchy sayings about life being short like, "Life is short, so eat your dessert first." There was a movie with this theme. I did not see the movie, but it was entitled "The Bucket List." The bucket list was a list of all of things two men wanted to do before they died. I hear things like this all of the time. People believe that they need to try to experience certain things, because life is short.

I agree with this sentiment, but only in a limited way. I believe life "on earth" is short. Every human being has an eternal soul. Therefore, we will all live eternally. However, only a short part of that life will be here on earth. I think we should focus on the eternal nature of life, not the brevity of life on earth, when we decide what is important in life.

It is possible for a person to experience all types of pleasure and excitement for 100 years on earth, and then, experience torment for eternity. Is that a good trade off? I don't think so.

As believers, if we are focused on the brevity of life on earth, should we be trying to do everything on our bucket list and experience life on earth to the fullest? I don't think so. Since life is short, we should give ourselves fully to the Lord's will, so we can help as many people know Christ and go to Heaven for eternity as possible. That is why the apostle Paul said, "For though I am free from all men, I have made myself a servant to all, that I might win the more."(I Corinthians 9:19) He realized that the best experience we will ever have will come when we get to Heaven, see Jesus face to face, and hear Him say, Well done," as some people come to us and thank us for showing them Jesus and the way to eternal life through Him.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Corinthians 10-12.

Popular Posts