Giving Godly Counsel

Part of my ministry is helping people know what to do about their problems. It may be a case of personal problems, or it may be problems with family, finances, or friends. Sometimes, the person comes to me, and at other times, I go to them. Whatever the situation, I try to give them the message to meet their needs from God's Word and from what God has shown me about Himself throughout my Christian life.

Every person and situation is unique. However, God's truth never changes, and His principles always apply. The key is to let His Word do the talking and to help the other person listen to what He is saying. Often, I bring up I Corinthians 10:13 where God tells us that there are no hopeless situations, since He is there to give a way of escape. Also, we talk about forgiveness in Christ and verses like I John 1:9. As I share it is amazing to see the light come on when they realize that their problems are not worse than other people's problems. That is just a lie of the Devil. Then, they see that God can give them grace and strength to handle the problems and to forgive anyone. He is in the forgiving business.

God gets all the credit for solving any one's problems, because it is His truth and it is only by His power that any of us can do the right thing and overcome the effects of sin in us and between us and other people. After all, we do not wrestle against people, but against the powers of Satan in this fallen world.(Ephesians 6:12) All solutions that work are spiritual solutions, because all problems have a spiritual source.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 23-25.

Popular Posts