Bitterness Has Ruined My Life

What is the saddest thing you have ever had anyone say to you? I am not sure that I can come up with just one. However, when it is a Christian who says to me, "Bitterness has ruined my life", it comes right up there near the top of the list.

Why would a Christian give in to bitterness? It all starts with anger. If we do not deal with our anger in a timely way, it will turn into resentment and bitterness. Of course, the Bible tells us to resolve our anger before the sun goes down. In fact, we are to put away all anger and wrath. Look at Ephesians 4. However, we think it is OK, and we are justified to be angry and to hold a grudge. Then, we become bitter. The bitterness grows until it becomes our predominate attitude toward everyone, not just the persons with whom we have been angry. That is when bitterness ruins lives.

The good news is that Jesus can uproot bitterness from the lives of His children who will repent of that serious sin and seek His grace to forgive and to forget. Then, we can move on with an attitude of thankfulness and joy. Instead of a ruined life, we can have a rebuilt life that is abundant and fruitful.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 1-3.

Popular Posts