Saint Patrick's Day

This morning I spoke to our elementary school chapel, as I usually do on Thursdays. Since it was Saint Patrick’s Day, I chose II Corinthians 1:1 for our verse. I wanted to make sure that none of the students misunderstood the meaning of being a saint. I think it is very important for all of us to know this, because so many people have an unbiblical view.


I asked the students to tell me the definition of a saint. One smart girl spoke up and said that a saint as a very holy person. I told her that I appreciated her answer, because that is what most people think. Then, I showed them the Bible and the real meaning of the word. The Bible says that every Christian is a saint, not just those who are especially holy. In fact, the word means “holy ones”, and all Christians are holy, because the word means to be set apart. We are all set apart from sin and this world. We are set apart to God for His service. Therefore, there are many saints, not just especially holy people.


Also, I explained that saints were not angels, because some of the children thought they were angels. I explained that we are not to pray to the saints, because we are to pray in Jesus’ name. (John 14:13) We are not to worship people or to pray to people. We pray to the Father through our Lord Jesus Christ. I think they understood. I hope it makes an impression on them, so that they realize how special it is to be a Christian and that God intends for all believers to be very holy, as we allow His Spirit to fill us and empower us to live righteous lives.


Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 14-17.

March 17 – Revelation 3:14-19

Ask God to show us our spiritual condition. If we are lukewarm, we must repent of our sins and become on fire for Him. Being lukewarm makes God sick.

.

Popular Posts