Render To Caesar

I spent some time preparing my taxes this afternoon while Jacob was taking his nap. It is my yearly job that I don't really mind, but I don't enjoy it all that much either. I see it as one of Christ's commands, so it is an act of obedience. I know the Lord blesses my obedience.

Romans 13 explains how the human governments are ordained by God to keep the peace and punish evildoers. Therefore, we sin when we don't follow the laws of the state, unless they directly contradict the Word of God. Whenever we have to choose between doing what the governing authorities say and what the Lord says, we are to obey God, just like the disciples did in the book of Acts.

Of course, Jesus was personally confronted about paying taxes to Ceasar. They thought they would trip Him up, but He silenced the critics when He said, "Render to Caesar the things that are Caesar's and to God the things that are God's."(Matthew 22:21) The word "render" means to pay for services given. Since we receive a lot of protection and provision from our government, the Lord wants us to pay our taxes. Also, the Lord has done so much for us, we are to give our tithe(10%) and offerings to Him. If we cheat either one, we will be punished by the Lord.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Samuel 18-21.
March 18 – Acts 1:8
Be sure that you are filled with the Spirit each day, and you allow the Spirit to guide you as a good witness for Jesus everywhere you go. Make it a point to brag on Jesus by telling someone what He has done for you lately.

Popular Posts