Depression

One of the least talked about problems from which people suffer is depression. We don't like to talk about it, because it is perceived as a weakness. We don't want to talk about our own weaknesses or the weaknesses of someone we love and care about, so we keep it quiet. This is a big mistake. In reality, one of the only ways to overcome depression is to talk about it with people we love and trust. That is one thing I do as a pastor.

The symptoms of depression are easy to spot. A depressed person often has a lack of energy, no motivation, an strong urge to be alone, and a desire to simply sleep away their time. The cause of depression is related directly to feeling hopeless about life or a particular situation. Many times, grief brings on depression, because people feel like they will never get over the loss of a loved one or the loss of something else important to them. Therefore, depressed people isolate themselves so much that they do not want to see other people, they do not want to talk with others, and they do not really have the desire to do anything. It is a devastating condition.

Depression is the result of the work of Satan, who comes "to steal, to kill, and to destroy." (John 10:10) He would like nothing better than to steal love, to kill through suicide, and to destroy relationships. It is how he works. He makes us think that our situation is hopeless, that it can never change. He is a liar, and the father of lies. Our lives are never without hope, because God is All-powerful. Our situation is not worse than other people. All of us have the same basic problems. (I Corinthians 10:13) We must come to reject his lies and trust the One who truly loves us and has a wonderful plan for our life.

Once a person realizes depression is the problem, he or she must begin spend time with other people and have sincere conversations about whatever is bothering them. They must get out in the sunlight, instead of staying inside. They need to exercise, instead of sitting around. Then, they need to talk to God and read His Word. They will absorb the truth and the hope will reignite in their hearts. Of course, if they do not know Christ, they need to trust Him as Lord at the same time. He will set them free from sin and depression. When a person does these things day after day, they will find themselves lifted out of the pit of depression and restored to the mountaintop of walking in wholeness with Jesus. Jesus said it in John 10:10, "I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

I know what I am talking about, because I have been depressed before in my life. I was not as severe as some people, but I suffered these symptoms, and I have taken these steps. I walk today full of hope, and there is not an ounce of hopelessness in my life. However, Satan is smart. I know he will try to bring it back, so I have to stay close to Jesus all the time. I pray all of you will know the deliverance from the effects of depression and the sincere joy of the Lord.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Matthew 10-12.

Popular Posts