Barking Up The Wrong Tree

I have never been a real coon hunter, but I can imagine where this old saying comes from. When the hunting dogs tree a raccoon, he climbs high up in the tree to get away. Then, the raccoon can even make his way from one tree to another in an effort to get away from the dogs and the hunters. In the end the dogs may be barking up one tree, as the coon is climbing down another one to safety. Therefore, the dogs totally miss their goal which is to get the coon.

Life can be that way. Some people are seeking happiness and fulfillment. They run after it with great sincerity, thinking that once they find the right activity or relationship, they will be really happy. Finally, they see that they have been barking up the wrong tree all the time. They have wasted their time and not found happiness, at all. What a sad state of affairs.

Satan makes sure that there are a lot of pleasures that catch our eyes. We can chase them until we experience all of them. We will come to find out what Solomon found out so long ago. All of these things are temporary and basically unfulfilling. The only thing that lasts is the joy of knowing the Lord and doing His will. He is the Designer. Why should we follow the deceiver, instead of the Designer? I can only say that the farther I get from those things and the closer I get to Jesus, the more joy and fulfillment I have. I know He will do the same for you.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Matthew 13-15.

Popular Posts