Ignoring God

One of the verses I read in my unhurried time this morning jumped out at me. It was one of my verses for the day, Psalm 81:11. God said, "But My people would not heed My voice, and Israel would have none of me." They were ignoring God, in effect. They did not want to have anything to do with Him. They did not take time to listen, and they did not even think about Him. I am afraid there are many people in this category today, unfortunately. There are even believers who "have none of God" all during the week. Their only dose of God comes on Sunday. I think He still feels the same way about folks who do that.

So what did God do for these folks who ignored Him? "So I gave them over to their own stubborn heart to work their own counsels." (Psalm 81:12)God decided to ignore them. He left them to fend for themselves. He allowed them to do whatever their stubborn hearts wanted to do. He still does that today, as well. One of the worst punishments of God is to leave us alone and to let us do what we want to do. When He does that, we are incapable of seeing His will and doing things the right way, so sin controls our lives, and we receive the consequences of our own sin. Most of the time that is very serious.

Think of how horrible it is to experience broken relationships, divorce, and broken homes. Think of the pain they cause. Consider financial problems and all the suffering and stress. Then, think about all of the damage done by drugs, alcohol, and sexual sins. All of those things are experienced by people who ignore God, because He turns His back on them to do whatever they want to do.

There is a positive to all of this, though. If we stop ignoring God, He will stop ignoring us. If we turn back to Him, He is ready to bless us. However, we have to sincerely give Him first place in our lives, and follow His will. What will it be for you?

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalm 83-85.

Popular Posts