Friends Forever

My wife, Chris, was telling me this evening that one of our dear friends from High School called today while I was gone. It was great to hear from Melanie, but the occasion was a sad one.

Chris and Melanie went to Towers High School together. They were best friends, and they worked at Davidson's Department store together, too. Melanie met a young man named Jim, and they started dating. Jim and I went to another High School together. Jim was my best friend from the time I was about 7 years old. Jimmy was a true friend, and a Christian brother. Chris and I met because of Jim and Melanie, and Jim was my best man, and Melanie was Chris' Maid of Honor in our wedding. Then, we did the same for them three weeks later.

When I was pastor in Houston, we received some sad news. Jim was found to have colon cancer, and it had spread. They could not stop it, and the Lord chose not to heal him, so He went to be with the Lord in June eleven years ago. We were able to visit with him in the hospice before He died, and I was privileged to have a part in his funeral service.

That is why Melanie was calling Christ. She thanked Chris for her friendship and support through all of those trials. I know I can speak for Chris as well as myself when I say that it was an honor to pray for them and to help in any small way we could.

One day I will get to see the big guy again. He will be the only one calling me John, and I will call him James, which is his first name, too. It was kind of fitting that James and John would be best friends and brothers in Christ. I thank God for Jim's friendship and for all of the friends the Lord has given me through my life. The road would certainly not be as sweet without those special friends to brighten the way.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 79-82.

Popular Posts