Music and Worship

Every year as I read the Old Testament, God speaks to my heart about the importance of music in worship. I must say that I do not think it is a coincidence that the greatest king of Israel, David, was a wonderful musician, who wrote so many psalms. Also, he established the ministry of music in the temple. Now, I do not think this was just his idea. It was the plan of God. God knows that music is a fine vehicle for delivering His truth and for praising Him.

I wish I could have heard the music back in the days of the temple. I wonder what kinds of beat it had, and I wonder about the melody. Was it fast or slow, or both? Was it loud or soft or both? I think I know the answer to some of these questions from passages in the Bible. I believe it was all types of styles and intensities based on the different occasions. There were all types of instruments and all types of choirs and groups. How could it be any different. God is so amazing, we need all types of music in our worship of Him.

I believe we need to learn some of those truths in our worship today. We get much too set in our ways. We get too focused on one type of music or one kind of sound. We should be ready to use whatever means we can to honor the Lord and worship Him in Spirit and in truth. I thank the Lord for all of those who are gifted in music and in leading worship. They play a vital part in our corporate worship. I pray for God to bless them and for God to lead all of us to worship Him well in our music.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 28-29 and II Chronicles 1.

Popular Posts