A Very Special Thanksgiving

I was blown away today, when I received an email from a missionary from Japan. It was a two Kleenex email for me. The email told of a special baby born to a missionary couple in Japan, Ben and Kumiko Collins. I had prayed for them a lot, because their daughter, Emma Grace, was born on the same day as Avenly. The difference was that Emma Grace was never conscious, and she lived on life support for several months before dying in a Japanese hospital. Her parents were faithful witnesses to the grace of God the entire time, and I am sure their lives made a huge impression on the hospital staff and doctors.

Please, read the following email I received and the attached email from the Collins' family. Can you imagine the goodness and grace of God for this new baby boy to be born on Thanksgiving Day? What a wonderful God we serve!

Dear Praying Friends,
I wanted to pass along this update on Ben and Kumiko Collins. The Lord heard your prayers for them and has given them a healthy baby boy. (Because of the time difference he was born on Thanksgiving Day in Japan) Join with us in thanking the Lord for this wonderful blessing! Have a happy Thanksgiving!

In Christ,
Melanie Brents
IMB Tokyo Global Partners Team


Jun Isaac Collins was born on Thanksgiving Day, November 26, 2009 at 10:49 AM, Japan time. At a large 7 lbs (for Japan), Jun Isaac is a healthy and strong baby boy with a good set of lungs and a strong grip. Mom is recovering. She has had a fever before and after surgery. Pray that it passes and she can recover quickly without any complications. Arata is having fun with his grandma who has come to help out for a couple days. Pray for his adjustment to being big brother. Also pray that I can find a way to spend more than the allotted 30 minutes a day (for 10 days) with my son! (The baby stays in the nursery and I can’t go in – they don’t let the baby stay in the room.)

Jun is a Japanese name that literally refers to giving water to a dry place, but figuratively means to give blessing in abundance or enrich others. We pray and hope that Jun Isaac will be a blessing to others, as he has already been to us.

Isaac means “laughter.” We learned that we were expecting Jun Isaac during a very difficult time for us around the time of both my (Ben’s) potentially debilitating cancer and our daughter’s death. In spite of those circumstances, we look back and laugh. I’m sure many people who knew us (especially those at the hospital where my daughter and I were staying) laughed too. God gives joy even through the most difficult of times.

Jun Isaac is a son of promise, just like the Isaac from the Bible. God promises that he will walk with us and bless us. Finding out about Jun Isaac’s new life during difficult circumstances was a reminder of God’s faithfulness to his promise.

Thanks for your thoughts and prayers. Please reply and tell us who he looks like and why!

Ben, Kumiko, Arata, & Jun

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 30-32 and I Peter 4.

Popular Posts