Thanksgiving Traditions

I am sure we all have some ways of celebrating Thanksgiving that have become traditions in our families. It really does make the holiday that much more special, doesn't it?

When I was young we drove to Parsons or Memphis, Tennessee to celebrate Thanksgiving with the family on my father's side, because it was near my grandmother's birthday. It was great to see the aunts, uncles, and cousins. The food was so bountiful that I really did eat so much I thought I would pop.

Then, after my grandmother passed away we began having our Thanksgiving time at my parents' house. My mother is an excellent cook, and she knows just what we like. Then, we would walk around the block to walk off the meal, and I would think of all of my friends from school days and baseball days. It was a walk down memory lane. I think I am going to do that again soon.

Now, we have the meal at our house. It helps Mom out. She still fixes a lot of food, but Chris is a great cook, too, so she does it all up right. One thing my Mom started doing and she passed down to us was a way to cook the turkey. It makes it so juicy, and it is never over done. I won't give the entire recipe, but it calls for pouring about 10 cups of boiling water over the turkey and then sealing it up completely in aluminum foil, so it steams it and bastes it at the same time. It makes a delicious turkey. Well, when you pour the boiling water over the skin of the turkey, the skin shrinks. It is amazing! So every year Chris calls for us to come see the "skin crawl" on the turkey. She is about to call us right now, because we are having our meal tomorrow. Dixie had to work the last two days, but she can join the rest of us tomorrow. I better go for now, but I hope you had or are having a wonderful Thanksgiving.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 33=34 and I Peter 5.

Popular Posts