God's Blessing

I think I have noticed something significant about how God chooses whom to bless. I know it is simple, but some of the most profound things we discover are very simple. Let me run this by you and see what you think about it.

Why would God choose to bless someone who is not trying to be faithful to Him? I do not think He would do that very often, because He would be blessing someone who is unfaithful. By blessing that person He would be rewarding their unfaithfulness. That is counter to His will. It leads that person to keep being unfaithful.

The opposite is actually true. God pours out His blessings on those people who are trying to be obedient to Him. They do not have to be perfect by any means. They need to be setting their hearts on Him, because they realize they can't do anything without Him. Then, when He blesses them, they do the right thing. They have incentive to be even more obedient. That is God's objective for them, so He will reward them with more blessings. Doesn't that make spiritual sense?

The reason I think about this is that I meet a good number of people who are not living for the Lord at all, but they ask me for help, and they ask me for prayer. I tell them that what they really need is God's blessing, not just more money or a job. If God blesses them, He will give them the right job and all of the money they need. That should be what the person is seeking to have, instead of just a job and money. I believe, this is true for everyone all of the time.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 105-106 and I Corinthians 3.

Popular Posts