How Important is the Word of God?

I must confess that I have always had a great desire to read God's Word and to apply God's Word, ever since I came to know Christ as my Savior and Lord. However, I do not think that I have ever been guilty of Bibliolotry, or worshiping the Bible. Christ is the only One who can give us life. He is the only Way to the Father. He is the One and Only Savior of the universe, and He is Lord of all.

Having said all of that, how important is the Bible in our Christian lives? Why do we need to read it, know it, meditate on it, and apply it in our lives? I believe the written Word of God is closely tied to the Living Word, Jesus Christ. It is God's Word, and through it we come to know the Lord more and more. This morning I was reading Deuteronomy 32:46,47 again on my way through the Bible in 2009. It has stuck in my heart for a long time now. In it Moses told the people of God, "Set your hearts on all the words which I testify among you today, which you shall command your children to be careful to observe-all the words of the law. For it is not a futile thing for you, because it is your life, and by this Word you shall prolong your days in the land which you cross over the Jordan to possess." Did you catch that, when he said, "it is your life?" It leads us to life in Jesus. It leads us in our life in Christ. It is what enhances our lives on this earth. It is life to us.

In the New Testament James 1:21 tell us to "receive with meekness the implanted word which is able to save your souls." John 15:7 says, "If you abide in Me and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it will be done for you." I could go on and on, but I think you get the point. We have salvation in Christ, but the Word of God is a huge part of our lives, as we seek to grow in our relationship with Jesus and live out our faith.

Therefore, I would ask each of us to consider how much of the Word we read, know, meditate on, and apply in our lives. Could that be the missing element in your spiritual growth? I think it is for a lot of Christians. If that is true in your life, please, make a vow to the Lord to make the Word of God a vital part of your daily life and carry out that vow. Make sure you consume and digest the entire Word of God. It will enhance your life in so many ways that nothing else can accomplish.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Joshua 1-3 and Mark 16.

Popular Posts