The Old Testament Law for Today

This morning I had a surprise visitor. I was glad to see a new friend of mine, as he came into my office. He had a very serious question for me about the Old Testament Law. He was searching his own soul and his understanding of a particular part of the Law of God. I was happy to share with him some insights God had shown me in His Word. I sincerely hope I helped him resolve his dilemma. However, I have seen the same situation many times over the last 35 years of ministry.

Why do people want to do away with the Law when Jesus said that He came to fulfill the Law not to destroy it? Why do people want to make grace into a license to do anything they want? Nothing could be farther from the truth. God's Laws never change, because they are based on His character which never changes. The way we apply the meaning of the laws has changed in some cases, but in most cases we are still to obey the Laws of God in the Old Testament. Grace is not a license. It is free, but we still have a responsibility to trust God. That is where the laws come in. They are tangible ways to trust God by obeying Him. If there is no obedience there is no faith. Also, why would God expect us who are under grace and who have His Holy Spirit to do less than He expected from the believers in the Old Testament? That would be a disgrace to grace. Grace should call us to do more than ever for God's glory and in His power.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 143-145 and I Corinthians 14:21-40.

Popular Posts