A Sure Way to Destroy Yourself

Over the years I have encountered numerous times when people decided to destroy themselves. The ironic thing is that they thought they were hurting someone else. They thought that their attitude was inflicting pain on another person, when the other person was probably not effected at all.

What am I talking about? I am referring to bitterness. Whenever a person decides to harbor anger against another person, it turns into bitterness. Then, the bitterness becomes a deep seated anger that rots out a person's mind and heart. The Bible calls it a root of bitterness, because it will continue to grow and get stronger and stronger until it is dealt with. The only way to rid yourself of bitterness is to forgive the other person, but once anger has turned into bitterness, the chances of forgiveness are slim. I think the reason for that is pride. The person convinces himself that his anger is justified, so he will not consider forgiveness as an option. All he wants is to hurt the other person.

That is about as unchristian as anything I know. It is not love at all, and it is worse that hate or apathy, since it grows and grows. It grieves me to see a Christian give in to bitterness. I know that destruction will most likely follow. Please, don't let anger stay in your life, and do not let bitterness take root. Do whatever it takes to forgive like Christ has forgiven us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 1-3 and Acts 17:1-15.

Popular Posts