Obedience and the Confession of Sins

Ever since my sabbatical I have been convinced that our discipleship must be based on obedience and not on knowledge. I learned that in my reading on church planting movements, and I have continued to encounter that truth as I have read other books, too. It just makes sense, doesn't it? The Lord wants to use all Christians, even the newest believers. Therefore, if we have to have a certain level of knowledge before we can be a true disciple, that excludes some believers. It also gives an excuse to some who feel like they do not know enough to serve the Lord. However, if obedience to what we know already is the basis for discipleship, then any believer can be a disciple. Of course, we all should keep growing in our relationship with Jesus all of the time.

Recently, I have realized something else that is good to emphasize obedience and thereby promote discipleship. It is confession of sin. If being obedient is essential, then how can we know if we have been obedient to Christ and His Word? We must take time to evaluate our lives and the way to do that is to ask the Holy Spirit to show us any sins we have committed. He will lead us into all truth and convict us of sin, righteousness, and judgment. Therefore, we know He will show us, if we are open, and then, we need to confess our sins, so they can be cleansed and our relationship with Christ restored. If a believer never takes time to confess sins, there is no accountability for being obedient. That is why I say that the process of confessing sins is a vital part of being a growing disciple.

I take some time each morning to confess any known sins in my unhurried time with the Lord, and I hope you do, too. However, I feel that more confession would help me. What about you? Let's pray about it and see what God says to us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Job 41-42 and Acts 16:22-40.

Popular Posts