Creating a False Impression

I have been reading a book that has some questions which Christians can ask themselves or their prayer partners to create accountability. They are very interesting. I have always wondered if questions would be effective, but I am beginning to see how they could be very effective.

The first question that John Wesley's college group called the "Holy Club" would ask themselves was: "Am I consciously or unconsciously creating the impression that I am better than I am?" What a great question! It hits at the heart of our Christian life, because if we are not honest with ourselves and others, we will deceive ourselves into thinking we are better than we really are. Then, we will portray that image to others. That is what causes people to be hypocrites. I believe asking myself that question each day or having a prayer partner ask me that question each week would cause me to grow as a Christian. What do you think?

Do others people really know the real you? If they do not, you are a hypocrite, because the definition of a hypocrite is a person who hides who they are behind a mask. In that way they show people something different on the outside than who they are on the inside. The scary thing about that question and the point of that question is that Jesus was the hardest on hypocrites. It makes Him very sad to think that one of His children would be like the Scribes and Pharisees. I pray that I will never do that to Jesus or to other people.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 7-9 and Acts 18.

Popular Posts