Ten Boys

I have spent the last three months or so coaching an Upward basketball team. My team consists of ten third and fourth grade boys. It has been a great experience for me, and I hope it has been a positive experience for them and their parents.

We started out the season with some glaring weaknesses like not being able to dribble the ball without double dribbling and being very tentative about rebounding. The boys made a lot of progress very quickly, and after 12 practices and 7 games, they are a whole different team. They are able to dribble and shoot and rebound with anyone their age. It is satisfying to see their progress in a short time.

My main concern is that I have been a good role model for them and that I have been able to teach them a little bit about Jesus, too. The game of life is so much more important than basketball. One lasts 3 months, while the other is eternal. To lose a game is not final, but to lose at eternal life is devastating to say the least. I pray that each one of these boys will be a winner in the game of eternal life and that this season of Upward will have contributed to that goal.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 15-16 and Mark 6:1-29.

Popular Posts