February 16 - Deuteronomy 21-23

When I read a passage like this one I am reminded about all of the things I don't understand in the Bible. However, I agree with the person who said that it is not what He doesn't understand that bothers him, it is what he does understand that bothers him. I know that I will never have a complete knowledge of everything in the Word of God, because I am not God. In fact, if I could understand it all that would concern me, because I know how limited I am. I am secure in knowing that it is God's Word, and if I apply my heart to know His word, He will reveal to me what I need to know.

There is so much wisdom in these three chapters. Just because no one witnessed a murder does not mean that you forget it and move on. God says the shedding of innocent blood pollutes a land so there must be an atonement. Even today a murder case is investigated for years, because there is the sense that justice must be done when a human life is taken. That need for justice is the sanctity of human life, which God has planted in our hearts. The rule about waiting a month before taking a wife from the survivors of a defeated foe guarded against a fleshly lust instead of a real love. The rule about a man having two wives does not say that having two wives is right, but it says that if you get yourself into that situation, you must not discriminate against the children because you love one wife more than the other. The rule about stoning a rebellious son shows that there must be a deterrent to breaking God's commands.

Many of the laws here remind me of our rules and laws today. My parents strictly taught me not to take anything that did not belong to me. People today don't listen to the law about cross dressing. We see it everywhere. However, whenever we see it, we know it goes against God's creation of man and woman as different sexes. The rules about sexual immorality remind me of the rape laws of today, and they show me that God wants us to stay pure until marriage and to be faithful to our spouse all the days of our lives. Sexual intercourse is only for marriage, so these laws show it must not be taken lightly.

Finally, we see that God loves all types of people, but there are some forms of behavior He punishes, and He calls unclean. Each of these rules seem to show God's concern for individuals and to stress that we need to care for our brothers, too. The rule that we should not charge a brother interest is a good example of this love. All of us should care for others as God cares for us. That would make this world a much better place.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Deuteronomy 24-26.

Popular Posts