Wise Father, Wiser Son

I have read through the Bible several times, but I never saw the verse I want to share today. I am sure this same thing has happened to all of us as we read God's Word. He is able to bring His living Word to life before us, and we are able to see things that we have overlooked or misunderstood before. That is another reason to read through the Bible in a systematic way each year.

As King David was about to hand over the kingdom of Israel to his son, Solomon, he gave his son a very wise insight by something he told him. David said, "May the Lord God give you insight and understanding when He puts you in charge of Israel..." (I Chronicles 22:12) David was a very wise father to plant this truth in the heart of Solomon. Later, when God asked Solomon what one thing he would request from Him, Solomon asked for wisdom and understanding to lead the people well. That so pleased the Lord that He gave him more wisdom than anyone else has ever had. However, he might not have made this request, if it had not been for his father showing him and telling him what was really important. We, as Christian parents, need to remember this insight, if we want our children to grow to be even more wise and understanding than we are.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Chronicles 25-27.


Popular Posts