The Cure for Discouragement

The belief in the goodness of the Lord is the cure for discouragement.(Psalm 27:13) David knew that, and we need to learn this valuable lesson. It is really very simple: God is good all the time; All the time God is good. Because God is good, we can know that we will see the goodness of the Lord in this life. We do not have to wait for heaven.

Some might ask why they are seeing so much pain and trouble if God is good. That is a good question, but it has a lot more to do with us and the world in which we live than it does about God. Our decisions can bring us pain. Our sins bring some kind of pain or discomfort. We live in a sinful world, so we experience troubles all of the time. These things do cause pain and trouble, but they do not negate the goodness of the Lord. He continues to send us blessings all along the way, because He acts in mercy and grace. Whenever we decide to follow His will and repent of sins, He is quick to bless us and show us His favor. His angels are protecting us from the dangers of this world, but on the occasion that we experience the evils of this world, God's grace is more than sufficient for us.

I am an eternal optimist because I know God is good. I know that I will continue to see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living as long as I am here. It helps when I look for His goodness, instead of dwelling on the difficulties. It helps when I am daily seeking to live in the center of His will so He can abundantly smile on me. Sometimes I have to wait to see His goodness like Job did, but I know it will come, as I continue to trust Him. I pray that we all can live a life of optimism, instead of a pessimistic life, because we know God is good.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 30-32.

Popular Posts