Broken Hearted Praying

Both Ezra and Nehemiah were praying men of God. I find it very interesting that they were both moved so much by the plight of their people that they fasted and prayed with weeping and mourning.(Nehemiah 1:4) They were broken hearted over the sins of the people and over the shame that hung over Jerusalem. In both cases God heard their prayers and answered in a marvelous way.

It made me think about myself. I believe I need to do more broken hearted praying for my country, my church, my family, and the world. I don't mean this in any superficial way at all. I mean, I need to be more tender-hearted, so that when I hear about things that touch God's heart, I am moved with the same compassion He has. God is looking at our hearts when we pray. If our hearts are not in line with His and if they are not in line with our words, then our prayers are not effective. Both Ezra and Nehemiah were in tune with the heart of God, and He blessed them for it.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Nehemiah 2-4.

Popular Posts