Fulfilling Our Vows

God does not require us to take vows. However, when a person takes a vow, He expects them to follow through and keep that commitment. This is especially true when we make a vow to the Lord.(Numbers 30:2)

Many people do not keep their word these days. It is rare to find someone who will keep their word, even if it causes them pain or hardship, but that is God's way. When He speaks, He always keeps His word, and He holds us to the same standard.

I have stood before many couples over the last 35 years to join them in marriage. Each of them has made a vow to God to remain married, "until death do us part." It always breaks my heart to hear that they have broken their vows to the Lord. I can only imagine how God feels about that.

I pray that we all will be slow to speak and slow to make vows. Still, when we do make a vow, let's keep it. Let's be an example of faithfulness to everyone around us.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 31-33.

Popular Posts