Friends With God

It is so amazing to read in II Corinthians 5:18 that we have been reconciled to God once we trust Jesus Christ as our Lord and Savior. That means we are friends with God. I used this verse to speak with our middle school students this morning in their chapel time. I am constantly amazed that the Lord of Lords wants to be friends with me. However, it is true.

Of course, friends like to hang out together. Friends like to talk and to share how they are doing with each other. Friends are always there to help out when there is a problem or a need. God is the Perfect Friend in all of these ways. How are we doing? Do we spend time with Him? Do we communicate with Him in prayer? Do we share our hearts desires and needs with Him? He is waiting for us to draw near to Him, and He will draw near to us.

Later in the day I went to a hospital and a hospice. As I visited with the folks who had loved ones who were very ill, it occurred to me that they needed the Perfect Friend at a time like that. We need to cultivate our friendship with God, so that when we have a great need, we know how to relate to Him in an intimate way, and we know we can trust Him in any situation. I pray for them to call out to Jesus in faith and embrace Him as Lord and the Best Friend anyone can ever have.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Lamentations 5 and Ezekiel 1-3.

Popular Posts