Finding Work

I went to the auto parts store today, twice in fact. As I got out of my truck, I was talking on the phone, so I stood by my truck for a few seconds before going into the store. When I ended the call, two men were approaching me and the door of the store, and one man said, "Do you have some work that you need done?" I told him, "no." He was very polite, and both men went on into the store. I went in behind them, and I was waiting for a counter person to help me when they walked up to the counter with me. Again the same man spoke to me. This time, he said, "I do landscaping, too. Do you have someone doing your yard?" I told him that I did it myself. Then, I complimented him on the way he was looking for work. When I did, he said that he had a regular job, but he did odd jobs on the side. His testimony was that even though the economy is bad, he could find work.

As I stood there, I had to think about what I would do, if I needed a regular job. I know they are hard to find now, but I believe I would take the initiative like this man. I would pray constantly, and go out seeking to find God's will. I did this when I was in seminary. I was a city boy living in the country. There were not too many city jobs. I went to the small town city maintenance office where they did all of the work like water, sewer, and road work. When I applied, I did not know how to do any of those things. The boss hired me, because there was a program to hire teenagers for the summer, and I was hired to supervise them. Then, I began to read water meters, too. In the process I learned how to fix water pipes, sewer lines, and asphalt. God provided in an unlikely place, because God is faithful.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Hosea 6-8.

Popular Posts