Water Color Ponies

I just got done putting my grandson, Jacob, to bed. Dixie is away for some professional training, so Gran and Grandad are in charge of the boy. It is a pleasure and a privilege to take care of our grandchildren, as it was to care for our children. However, as I walk with Jacob and rock him before putting him down, I can't help but think of Wayne Watson's song, "Water Color Ponies." He wrote it years ago when His boys were growing up, and he could foresee the day they would fly away and leave them with an empty nest. Now, I can see it coming for the second time in my life.

The title of the song comes from the water color pony pictures hung on the refrigerator door. They are drawn by careful little fingers and put proudly on display. However, the water color ponies will one ride away. The lyrics are describing the maturing process and the independence that inevitably comes. It is a time of mixed emotions. We want our children to mature and to be on their own, but we miss them so much at the same time.

Now, my prayer is that my grandchildren will grow up to be mature Christian adults like my children became and that they will make an impact on this world for Christ. If that happens, it will be well worth watching the water color ponies ride away again.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 15-17.

Popular Posts