Afraid To Die

I remember the day I received the phone call from my doctor telling me that I had prostate cancer. It was a sobering feeling. I did not feel like crying really. I was concerned for Chris, mostly, since my children were grown by then. I did not look forward to surgery or cancer treatments. That would be crazy. However, I was not afraid to die. I knew God had me in His hands and either way, I was going to be alright.

When I was in seminary, my professor had cancer, and when he came back from surgery and treatments, he talked to us about it quite a bit. He told us that God gives us grace for each day and the things that will happen to us that day. He does not give us grace for the future. We have to wait on the Lord to supply. He doesn't give us grace for our dying day until that day comes, but we have assurance that it will come, just like we have enjoyed His grace for every other day of our lives. It is truly a blessed assurance.

Once we know Jesus as Lord and Savior, we are completely in God's hands.(John 10:28-30) Christ is my life, so whether I stay here or go to be with Him, all is well. Perfect love casts out fear. I pray that all of us have that peaceful assurance that all is well with us in life and in death. If not, turn to the One who is Life, and surrender to Him as Lord. Then, you will have the peace that passes understanding as you pray about everything that happens in your life.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Numbers 26-28.

Popular Posts