An Eternal Perspective

I have found that life is much more meaningful when I have an eternal perspective on things. This leads me to look past the things that are not very important at all and to focus on the main things. Over the past twenty years or so as I have found this eternal perspective to be growing stronger, I have seen my anger levels and frustration levels decrease greatly. The small stuff no longer bothers me at all. Also, I have been able to spend much more time on the things that last. It is a great way to live.

Thanksgiving is not about food. It is about God, because all we have comes from Him. The day should not be focused on what to eat, but how to show our thanks to God. Think of how many Thanksgivings have been ruined when the turkey turned out dry or the pumpkin pie ran out too soon. Also, we are thankful for our relationships with family and friends. God made us to be interdependent not alone. It is sad to see someone who is lonely at Thanksgiving because they fail to act in loving ways toward everyone they know.

Christmas is Jesus. It is not about gifts. It is not about material things, at all. All of our decorations point to Jesus and the eternal life He came to provide for those who would come to know Him. Their beauty is secondary to their message. Christmas is praying for the world to come to Jesus. It is reflecting and acting upon the will of God to take the Greatest Gift to every people group in the world.

These are the things that fill my mind at this time of year. When other things try to crowd in, I dismiss them for the eternal. That makes for a very joyous and happy holiday season. I pray that all of us will have a very Eternal Thanksgiving and Christmas celebration this year and always.

Tomorrow, I intend to read I Corinthians 15-16 and II Corinthians 1.

Popular Posts