I'm Proud of Our Church Family

I don't say very much about our North Henry Baptist Church family in this web log. Most of the time it is my own personal reflections. Sometimes, I do mention one or two of our church family members and what they have done. However, I don't comment on our church family as a whole very often. Tonight, I want to make an exception, because I am proud of our church. It is a pleasure to be the pastor of such a loving and ministry minded church.

Out of all of the Southern Baptist Churches in our county we are one of the few who give a full 10% of our undesignated offerings to the Southern Baptist Cooperative Program, the unified budget of the SBC. This shows that the church has a definite commitment to international and national missions, as well as the ministries in Georgia. Since Jesus commended percentage giving when he recognized the widow who gave her two mites in the Temple treasury box, we know that Jesus looks on the sacrifice more than the total amount of the offering. Also, we are one of the few churches in our county who give a full 3% of our undesignated offerings to the local association of churches to do ministry in Henry county.

I received a letter today from the International Mission Board of the SBC recognizing our church for our level of giving to the Lottie Moon Christmas Offering for international missions. This offering is not extra, as I like to tell our folks, but it makes up half of the budget of the IMB. NHBC was recognized for being in the top 4% of all SBC churches in our giving, because we gave almost $75 per person according to our average attendance. I praise God for this level of commitment in supporting our missionaries.

Also, today I found out that our recent love offering for the local Pregnancy Resource Center was almost $2,000. The center staff was very thankful and complimentary that a church of our size would give that much. That is the kind of folks we have.

Now, we are not perfect by any means. However, when I can say these things in the midst of a recession, where many of our folks have lost their jobs, it is a wonderful testimony to their love for the Lord and His work. I pray that we will continue to be faithful stewards and faithful missionaries to our community. I would urge all of us to pray and to give so the world may come to know the joy of knowing Christ.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ezekiel 4-7.

Popular Posts