Unforeseen Dangers

This evening I was going to the mailbox. I decided to take Jacob with me. At the last minute before walking out of the door I thought about letting him walk with me, since he is walking so well now. I stopped, put on his little sandals, and off we went. It was a slow trip, but it was great to see him enjoying himself as he walked down the driveway. As we reached the box, I picked him up and got the mail out. Then, I started to carry him back to the house.

Jacob did not want me to carry him. He wanted to get down, so I let him, thinking he would just walk back with me. That was not his plan. He wanted to walk down the road. I kept turning him toward the house, and he kept protesting and going the other way. Finally, I had to pick him up and take him to the house, even though he was very upset.

I think he was wanting to walk down the road, because Dixie has been strolling him down the road in the stroller as she exercises. He simply wanted to go it by foot. However, he did not know the dangers that lay before him. Yes, in the stroller he was safe, but on foot it was a different situation. I could not let him go, because I knew about the cars, trucks, and other dangers that came from walking down a road like ours. He did not understand, so he was upset with me. That is OK, because I love him, and I will do what it takes to keep him safe.

The same is true of our Heavenly Father. He is watching out for us, when we can't see the dangers around us. Often, He tells us "no," but we want to go our way. We can't see the danger ahead, and we think we know best. We get upset with Him, and all along He was just trying to do what was best for us. He loves us so much. The difference is that I could carry Jacob back. God does not do that for us very often. He warns us, but it is up to us to listen to our Loving Father, who always knows best.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Psalms 89-91.

Popular Posts