Seeking God's Perfect Will For Our Lives

This morning I met with the middle school students for our regular chapel time. For some reason they were not really focused on what we were doing, so I had to think of a way to drive home the meaning of the end of James 4, where the Lord instructs us about finding His will for our lives, instead of thinking we can plan out everything ourselves. It is a very important truth so I told them one of my life stories.

At the age of 17 I became very frustrated with dating when a girl turned me down for a date one weekend. As I hung up the phone, my emotions rose, and I slipped off of my bed and on to my knees. I prayed for the Lord's help. I told him about my frustration, and I asked Him to show me who to date without me having to ask anyone. Because of my emotion, I was not thinking how difficult that would be.

Two weeks later I was taking my best friend, Jim, and his new girlfriend, Melanie, to a movie on a Friday night, because Jim's keys had been taken away for a prank he played. Once I picked him up, I found out they were going to a surprise birthday party, instead of the movies. When we drove up to the house, they insisted that I come in, too. I went in, and met Chris Bennett and her friends. It was Chris' birthday. We had a good time, and then we left to take Jim and Melanie home. It was early, and they did not want to go home, so Melanie asked if she could call back and ask if Chris would go with me, so we could have a double date. I told her that I thought that was unlikely, but she could try. To my surprise Chris' mother said yes, so we returned to pick her up. I wasn't even thinking about my prayer at that point. We had a great time that evening, and I saw her every day for about 8 months, until I left to go to Baylor. It wasn't long before we knew that God had brought us together. Now, we have been happily married for 35 years.

I am so glad I did not seek to plan out my life and who I would marry. I praise the Lord for listening to my prayer and honoring the desire of my heart. His will is so much better than anything I would ever have thought of. Now, I hope that makes all of us want to seek God's perfect will each and every day of our lives. Besides coming to know Christ, it is one of the best decisions anyone can ever make.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Chronicles 19-21.

Popular Posts