True Beauty

This morning I finished reading Proverbs for this year in my reading through the Bible for 2009. It is always such a blessing. This year I was overwhelmed again by the wisdom God gave us in this one book.

Of course, the last chapter includes the passage about the excellent wife. I have read it many times and thanked God for giving me just such a wife in Chris. This morning my attention was drawn to verse 30, so I made it my verse of the day. It says very simply, "Charm is deceitful and beauty is vain, but a woman who fears the Lord, she shall be praised." Now, that is a verse for both men and women to ponder.

It reminds me of my experience at Baylor. I used to show Chris's picture to all of the guys. Each time they would comment on how pretty she was. I would agree with them, and tell them how great she was. Then, she came to Texas for a visit. After some of the guys got to meet her in person, one of my friends named Fitz made a discerning observation. He told me that she was not only beautiful on the outside, but she was beautiful on the inside, too. He was very correct, and it has proven to be true many times over the last 35 years. She has true beauty which comes from fearing the Lord and having the character of Christ in her. She is not perfect, but she has that true beauty. I will be forever thankful that God gave me Chris for my wife.

Tomorrow, I intend to read Ecclesiastes 1-3 and II Corinthians 11:16-33.

Popular Posts