Mothers' Day 2009

Every Mothers' Day is meaningful for me, because I am very attached to my mother. It was always emotional on Mothers' Day when I was living in Texas, and I was not able to be at home with my mom. Actually, I was prone to getting homesick any time I was away from my parents when I was a child, and even when I was grown and on my own. There is just something special about mom, dad, and home. I can't tell you the impression she has made on me for good. I know she is always there for me.

This year motherhood is much closer than usual with Dixie and Jacob in the house with us. It is wonderful to see how Dixie has been become such a loving mother in these last 10 weeks or so. It was a special blessing to have her and Jacob take part in our Baby Dedication time this morning in the worship service. I know Jesus will honor Dixie's desire to follow Him and to raise Jacob to love Him.

We were able to speak to Lori and Jeff over the computer using Skype. It is the next best thing to being there, since we can see them, and they can see us. However, it will be great to hug all of the this July when they come on Stateside Assignment. I have the greatest amount of respect for Lori and her mothering of Kade and Avenly. She is having to raise two children in a different culture. She and Jeff want them to fit into the Japanese culture, so they will not feel like outcasts, but they want them to know our Christian and American culture, too. It is a full-time job and more, but Lori does it with grace and strength.

Of course, Mothers' Day is always a reminder of how Chris has been such a blessing to me and to our children. I know that my three have seen a real godly mother in action all of their lives, and that makes a huge difference. My hat is off to Chris for her tireless efforts to be the best mom she can be.

I can't wait to see what this year will bring for our family. One thing is sure. A lot of what happens will be because of the moms in our family. They will lead us closer to the Lord and to each other, and those are two very good things.

Tomorrow, I intend to read II Kings 13-14 and John 2.

Popular Posts